Teacher Subject Specialism Training (TSST)
FREE to all Schools/Participants (subject to meeting eligibility criteria) – Starting January 2019
Designed for teachers who are currently teaching Mathematics, Physics, French or Spanish outside of their specialism subject, or who wish to offer teaching in one of these subjects. The programme is also suitable for those returning to teaching. The face-to-face programme alongside online modules will improve both subject knowledge and classroom practitioner skills, allowing you to confidently teach up to GCSE.
To be eligible for a place on the programme, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must have QTS but do not have an initial teacher training specialism in the subject you are applying for.
- You are currently teaching in a maintained secondary school, maintained or non-maintained special school or academy, or you are a qualified teacher, not currently teaching, who wishes to return to teaching (with a DfE return to teaching reference number).
- Your school is willing to support your application and allow you to attend all face to face taught sessions.
The programme for all subjects will run with a similar format:
- Minimum of 6 two-hour Face-to-face sessions at the Weald of Kent Grammar School (Mathematics) or Tonbridge Grammar School (Physics, French and Spanish ) plus an induction day.
- Online modules provided by Canterbury Christ Church University to be completed between sessions addressing gaps in knowledge not addressed in the face-to-face sessions.
- Support and activities in schools. This will be bespoke for each participant but will include lesson observations, peer support, action research, joint planning and teaching.
All sessions will focus on subject knowledge, pedagogy and effective learning through practical work where appropriate. The training will focus on current initiatives, such as the new GCSE curricula and its assessment. There will be opportunities to practise techniques in the classroom and to network and learn from other practising teachers. The face-to-face sessions are delivered by experienced practitioners, with significant experience in the classroom, and in delivering professional development.
All courses are taught by experienced classroom teachers, many of whom have additional responsibilities. All course leads have experience of training teachers in their subjects and links to the Kaizen Teaching School Alliance in order to provide further career support and enhancement.
Face to Face Session Timings 2019
The courses will begin in January 2019. All participants must commit to attending the face-to-face sessions.
|Session||Secondary Mathematics||Secondary Physics||Secondary French||Secondary Spanish|
|Induction||Wednesday 12th December 2018||Tuesday 8th January 2019||Tuesday 8th January 2019||Tuesday 8th January 2019|
|Session 1||Friday 11th January 2019 1.30pm - 3.30pm||Wednesday 16th January 2019 2pm-4pm||Wednesday 23rd January 2019 2pm-4pm||Wednesday 23rd January 2019 2pm-4pm|
|Session 2||Tuesday 15th January 2019 9am-11am||Wednesday 30th January 2019 2pm-4pm||Wednesday 6th February 2019 2pm-4pm||Wednesday 6th February 2019 2pm-4pm|
|Session 3||Friday 25th January 2019 1.30pm - 3.30pm||Wednesday 13th February 2019 2pm-4pm||Wednesday 27th February 2019 2pm-4pm||Wednesday 27th February 2019 2pm-4pm|
|Session 4||Tuesday 29th January 2019 9am-11am||Wednesday 6th March 2019 2pm-4pm||Wednesday 13th March 2019 2pm-4pm||Wednesday 13th March 2019 2pm-4pm|
|Session 5||Friday 8th February 2019 1.30pm - 3.30pm||Wednesday 20th March 2019 2pm-4pm||Wednesday 27th March 2019 2pm-4pm||Wednesday 27th March 2019 2pm-4pm|
|Session 6||Tuesday 12th February 2019 9am-11am||Wednesday 3rd April 2019 2pm - 4pm||Wednesday 24th April 2019 2pm-4pm||Wednesday 24th April 2019 2pm-4pm|
Although it is unlikely dates will change when published, please be aware that on occasion it is necessary to move/change sessions. All participants will be advised as early as possible by the course leader if this is the case.
In addition all participants are expected to arrange further 1-to-1 mentoring and observation sessions with their course leader. Timings of this are flexible and based on the needs of the individual.
Applying for TSST
If you are currently teaching please ensure that you have the support of your school and that your Head Teacher/Principal and Line Manager is willing to support your application and attendance at face-to-face sessions.
Please note that as of 04/12/2018 the Secondary Maths TSST Programme is FULL.
Applications will only be accepted via the online application form and dealt with on a first-come, first-served basis due to limited funding.
For more information please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org .