Teacher Subject Specialism Training (TSST)
FREE to all Schools/Participants – Starting January 2019
Designed for teachers who are currently teaching Mathematics, Physics, French or Spanish outside of their specialism subject, or who wish to offer teaching in one of these subjects. The programme is also suitable for those returning to teaching. The face-to-face programme alongside online modules will improve both subject knowledge and classroom practitioner skills, allowing you to confidently teach up to GCSE.
To be eligible for a place on the programme, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must have QTS but do not have an initial teacher training specialism in the subject you are applying for.
- You are currently teaching in a maintained secondary school, maintained or non-maintained special school or academy, or you are a qualified teacher, not currently teaching, who wishes to return to teaching.
- Your school is willing to support your application and provide opportunities to attend all face to face taught sessions.
The programme for all subjects will run with a similar format:
- Minimum of 6 two-hour Face-to-face sessions at the Weald of Kent Grammar School (Mathematics) or Tonbridge Grammar School (Physics, French and Spanish )plus an induction day.
- Online modules provided by Canterbury Christ Church University to be completed between sessions addressing gaps in knowledge not addressed in the face-to-face sessions.
- Support and activities in schools. This will be bespoke for each participant but will include lesson observations, peer support, action research and joint planning.
All sessions will focus on subject knowledge, pedagogy and effective learning through practical work where appropriate. The training will focus on current initiatives, such as changes to the GCSE curriculum and its assessment. There will be opportunities to practice techniques in the classroom and to network and learn from other practising teachers. The face-to-face sessions are delivered by experienced practitioners, with significant experience in the classroom, and in delivering professional development.
Face to Face Session Timings 2019
The courses will begin in January 2019. All participants must commit to attending the face-to-face sessions. Session dates will be published on this website and on the online application form in the Autumn Term when applications open. Although it is unlikely dates will change when published, please be aware that on occasion it is necessary to move sessions. All participants will be advised as early as possible if this is the case.
Applying for TSST
If you are currently teaching please ensure that you have the support of your school and that your Head Teacher is willing to support your application and attendance at face-to-face sessions.
The online application form will appear on this page when applications open in the Autumn term.
For more information please contact email@example.com .